1. My username is ____ because ____.
2. My journal is titled ____ because ____
3. My subtitle is ____ because ____.
4. My friends page is called ____ because ____.
5. My default userpic is ____ because ____.
1. My username is greyfeld because he is a character I had a lot of fun with in the early halcyon days of rpg, when D&D was not yet "advanced" — he was carefree, unpredictable and really incredibly lucky, gaining great power mostly through no fault of his own. I like to think he's still a bit like me.
2. My journal is titled Philosophickal Ruminations for several reasons. When I started the journal I was more or less immersed in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle (hence the archaic spelling) and I've always been a bit of a philosopher anyway. Ruminations, of course, are thought-processes which have as their analogue the bovine practice of chewing the cud; and I thought that a journal which would consist, in part, of chewing over partly-digested ideas would fit that image nicely.
3. My subtitle is Prayer as Performance Art because, among other things, I am a practitioner of organized religion, a religious professional, who in principle despises such people. While my personal faith is as real and sincere as it can be, the public display of such faith seems to necessitate, most often, something that might qualify as performance art, whether as outright deceptive dissembling (as some of my ilk are often accused of, no doubt accurately in many cases) or as well-designed creative presentation of material that would, if handled less artistically, unnecessarily be met with rejection. It also reflects my conviction that even the most private religious act, such as prayer, gets us no closer to God than we already are, yet serves, by way of performance (sometimes with only ourselves as an audience) to make something worth appreciating out of that relationship. Enough there.
4. My friends page is called Dark Glimpses because I am convinced that each of us lives at the center of an immense universe consisting of the totality of our perceptions, thought-processes, experiences, etc., and we rarely can see much at all from within the depths of the universe we (each of us as an individual) occupy, into that place inhabited by another. I am, however, convinced that any communication past or through the nearly insurmountable barriers that we erect around ourselves is worth the effort; yet the best communications are often merely glimpses, flashes in the dark revealing to us for brief instants the possibility of another soul, that is, another conscious center in the midst of a unique world as vast and varied as our own. These journal entries provide varying opportunities for just such momentary flashes; dark glimpses, as I call them, into the only thing that is worth calling real.
5. My default userpic is me in my black leather hat because that's what I looked like last summer, and I am (in case you hadn't figured this out) an insufferable egomaniac who just can't get enough of himself. And someone (no names please) looked at it and told me that I look hot, which is not bad for an old guy gullible enough to believe his own fan mail.
There. If I bare my soul any more, I'll risk arrest for public indecency.